Contact Buck Laning
Real Estate Appraisal & Consultants
James B. “Buck” Laning has been actively involved in real estate appraisal for over 30 years in Uvalde, Texas providing objective, unbiased advice to clients requiring responsible assistance in valuing, buying, selling, financing, and developing real estate in South and West Texas. The main emphasis of work has been in farm and ranch valuation, commercial and special use valuation of properties. “Buck’s” expertise covers a large area of South and West Texas ranging from Winters, Texas down to Brownsville, Texas and extending as far west as Van Horn, Texas, to as far east as Edna, Texas. For over 25 years, Buck worked in association with J. A. Laning, Jr. & Associates and is presently performing appraisal services under the name of James B. Laning & Associates.
Mr. Laning has appraised a number of high profile agricultural and commercial properties including: Briscoe Ranch Inc., Nunley Ranches, Travelers Insurance, Gulf Oil Resources, White Mines, Inc., The Pickens Corp., Reagan Family Trust, IBC Bank, First State Bank of Uvalde, Frost Bank, First National Bank of Uvalde, City of Uvalde, Tubular Steel Corp., Currie Ranch Trust, Barnes Brothers Lumber Co., Allegiance Crane Co., AAA Mini-Storage, Union National Bank of Laredo, Dunbar Estate Ranches, Odiorne Estate properties, Hargrove Ranches, Manry Estate Ranches, and Carnes Farms.
Appraisal activities and experience include:
· Estate Tax Valuation
· Ad Valorem Tax Matters
· Market Analysis
· Partitioning of Properties
· Highest& Best Use Studies
· Discounted Cash Flow Analysis
· Asset Valuation/Analysis
· Marketing& Disposition Planning
· Litigation & Expert Testimony
· Bachelor of Arts Degree – Managerial Studies – Rice University; 1977.
Successfully completed the following courses offered by the Appraisal Institute and the American Institute of
Real Estate Appraisers:
· Real Estate Appraisal Principles (Exam 1A-1), Austin, Texas 1985.
· Basic Valuation Procedures (Exam 1A-2), Austin, Texas 1985.
· Capitalization Theory & Techniques – Part A (Exam 1BA), Austin, Texas 1986.
· Capitalization Theory & Techniques – Part B (Exam 2BA), Austin, Texas, 1986.
· Standards of Professional Practice (Exam SPP), San Antonio, Texas, 1987.
· Case Studies – Course 2-1 (Exam 3A), Austin, Texas, 1988.
· Report Writing & Valuation Analysis (Exam 4), San Antonio, Texas 1989.
· Successfully passed MAI Comprehensive Exam.
· Successfully completed MAI Demonstration Appraisal Report.
· State Certified General Real Estate Appraiser in Texas (License No. TX – 1320382-G).
· Qualified as Expert Witness in State & District Court cases.
Texas Real Estate Broker – License No. 0226137. Salesman since 1977.
Uvalde Board Of Realtors, Texas Association of Realtors (TAR), National Association of Realtors (NAR).
Texas Alliance of Land Brokers (TALB).
Since 1983, Buck Laning has appraised irrigated and dry land farms, livestock ranches, recreational ranches, pecan orchards, cattle feedlots, summer camps, horse breeding and training facilities, multi-family apartment complexes, commercial businesses, multi-tenant commercial buildings, self-storage properties, and various other commercial properties. Rural land appraisals range in size from 40 acres – 20,000 acres in size.